Your route guide should include the following things:
- A difficulty rating using the OUTC rating system ™
- Rough guide as to travel time and distance covered
- Any significant obstacles (river crossings etc) or deviations from marked Topo routes
- Key info (e.g on track/off track, wildlife seen, type of terrain)
- When you last traveled the route and name of the author
- A map and photos if possible
Below is the OUTC rating system ™
An easy trip is classified as a trip involving these elements:
- A track of a good standard (defined as well marked, major streams bridged, largely free of obstructions).
- Up to 5 hours walking each day.
- Climbs should be no more than 600 m
A moderate trip is classified as a trip involving any of these elements:
- Greater than a 1000 m climb. Or multiples of climbs / descents.
- Substantial travel on well marked but rough track,
- More than 6 hours continuous walking per day.
- Off-track travel at an unhurried pace.
- Significant river-crossing required
A hard trip is classified as a trip involving any of these elements:
- Greater than a 1500 m climb. Or multiples of climbs / descents
- Significant scrambling with exposure.
- Significant route-finding required with time pressure
- More than 10 hour days required